Minimum Requirement Check List
For home design approval and siting and grading completion:
- Facade differs from two (2) homes on either side and across the street.
- Wall heights and home style (2ST, 2ST*, BG) match the existing master grading plan.
- The front facade is ‘balanced’ with no large areas of blank wall space on the front of the home.
- Corner lots have decorative architectural details and treatments on the entire flank side.
- There are a maximum of seven (7) exterior steps, in each straight run, from entryway to garage level.
- Where columns are used, they are a minimum of 200mm (8”). If columns are wooden, they must be stained or painted.
- Garage door(s) must match the architectural style of the house and musr have glazing or transom window.
- The garage and driveway widths comply with HRM maximum width requirements, (see Land Use By-Law reference on page 9).
- The roof pitch is a minimum 8/12 side to side for New Traditional Style homes unless otherwise approved by LCHL.
- Garage does not protrude more than 1.5m (5’-0”) beyond any other other facade elements.
- Masonry requirements as per Table 1 – page 7, are met, and noted on plans (see page 7 for location requirements).
- The remaining area of the facades, the roof, and driveway, are all designed to be constructed and finished with an approved material (see page 8 for further details).
- Front porches and stairs are designed to be constructed of materials other than pressure treated wood.
- Provisions have been made to screen green-bins, garbage cans, propane tanks, etc. from street view where possible.
- You have met with us to coordinate three key common elements to be used across the other lots within your area (see page 14).
For Landscape Deposit Release
- Colour and material selections must be submitted.
- A lot grading certificate must demonstrate that the initial intent is met by showing grades at the same locations as proposed grading.
- One tree must be planted for every single, semi-detached or townhouse dwelling unit; Two trees for every lot with a frontage greater than 50’-0”.
- Trees must be indigenous to Nova Scotia and be a minimum of 1.5m (5’-0”) tall and a minimum diameter of 50mm (2”).
Note: This list is intended to provide a quick reference for key items required for approval. Meeting these requirements does not guarantee approval.
Landscaping and driveway areas will be completed within six (6) months from the date of substantial home completion.